Are you looking for the best dirt bikes for your 10, 11, or 12-year-old kids? Over a decade ago, buying a bicycle for your children used to be an essential ritual. Parents used to film their children taking their first ride on the cycle. Now cycling is not enough to entice kids to go outside. Parents need to find something that can either beat or match the level of excitement of kids while playing a video game and get that adrenaline pumping. One solution to this dilemma is to get them a dirt bike.
Are Dirt Bikes safe for 10, 11, or 12-year-old kids?
Usually, when parents think of dirt bikes, they think of riders performing daredevil stunts and doing crazy flips. They believe that getting one for their children would be dangerous as they will try to imitate them. Well, let me inform you that these reservations are valid to some extent but are mostly unwarranted.
The dirt bikes you see the professionals riding are way stronger than those made for kids, both in speed and power. Manufacturers design the kid’s dirt bike with lower specifications, remove any risks, and make it far easier to handle. Thus, parents can relax and let their kids enjoy a fantastic outdoor activity.
Benefits of Riding Dirt Bikes for 10 11 or 12-year-old kids:
Riding a dirt bike is quite beneficial for the kids. Let’s take a look at some of its benefits.
It helps kids to take responsibility:
Apart from being a form of enjoyment, it also teaches them to take responsibility. Once you hand them the bike, you must also ensure that they know how to keep it running. Make them understand that it is their responsibility to maintain it and keep it in tip-top condition.
Make kids excited and passionate:
It will help your kids to be excited about something. It helps in keeping the kids out of trouble. They will look forward to spending time on their dirt bikes rather than playing video games. The thrill of riding their first dirt bike will make them fall in love with it. Once kids become attached to their dirt bike, they will want to master riding it.
Kids will learn a skill:
Not only do they learn a skill, but they also develop excellent motor skills. Riding a dirt bike enhances their reflexes, and it is also a good workout for their bodies. They will exercise control and maneuverability as they ride on their dirt bikes.
The best part of it all is that it is an excellent way to have bonding time with your kids. Get a bike for yourself and ride with them. Challenge them, and have fun with them. It will become an activity that the kids will look forward to doing with their parents.
Types of Dirt Bikes for 10, 11, or 12-year-old kids:
There are two variants of dirt bikes in the market gasoline-powered and electric.
Gasoline-Powered Dirt Bikes:
These bikes have good power and are not suitable for kids learning to ride a dirt bike for the first time. They are ideal for moderate to advanced riders. The one made for kids is usually between 40 to 125 cc in terms of engine power. They are much more sturdy and robust compared to electric dirt bikes. They require more care and maintenance than the electrical counterpart, as you will have to keep the engine oil in check.
Electric Dirt Bikes:
These bikes are much lower in terms of power and are an excellent option to get for beginners. Electric dirt bikes are battery-operated, and their speed depends on the capacity of the battery and the motor used. Usually, it ranges from two miles per hour to 15 miles per hour. They are quite easy to maintain, often requiring to charge the battery only.
How to Choose a Dirt Bike For 10 11 or 12-year-old Kids
There are many manufacturers of dirt bikes producing a variety of models for kids. The prices vary according to the brand and the features of the bike. Usually, they start at a hundred dollars and can go over five hundred dollars.
2It’s best to begin by finalizing how much you are willing to spend. Once you have a clear budget in mind, you can go through all the available options for you in that range. If you don’t go in prepared, you will be overwhelmed by choices and overspending.
Choose according to the skill of your kid:
As mentioned above, if your kid is a beginner, it’s best to go for the electric variant. If he is experienced and knows how to ride a bike, go for the gasoline-powered one. Electric dirt bikes are easier to maintain than gasoline-powered bikes, so keep that in mind as well.
Consider the height and weight of your children:
You must make sure that you buy according to the height and weight of your kids. For height, it’s best to go for the one on which your kid’s feet can touch the ground, rather than following a chart that manufacturers most often list.
It helps in maneuverability and control. It also helps in maintaining a good posture. If the bike is not of an appropriate height, your child will ride the bike with the wrong body posture and will be more prone to injuries.
For weight, it’s best to buy a dirt bike that has a weight limit much higher than your kids. The speed of the dirt bike is dependent on the weight of your kid. If he is above the weight limit, the bike performance will take a hit and damage the tires.
Battery and Motor Capacity or Engine Size:
Electric bikes start with six-volt batteries and a motor. These are usually for kids that are three and above. For kids over ten years of age, opt for a high torque electric bike.
Coming to a gasoline engine, start with a 50cc, and once they are capable of handling themselves, go for a more powerful engine dirt bike. Also, dirt bike engines are either two strokes or four strokes.
Both of them have their pros and cons. I would recommend going for the four strokes engine, as it has more predictable power and is easier to maintain. Two strokes engine provides more energy and has a louder noise, but also requires constant maintenance.
All the gasoline-powered dirt bikes come with suspensions. They help in absorbing the bumps and make the ride much more comfortable. Most of the shocks are adjustable, which can help set the bike according to your child’s height.
When it comes to electric bikes, not all of them come with suspension. The ones that have them are a bit higher in price, so if you have a reasonable budget, I would recommend opting for the bikes fitted with them.
Tire size and type:
The size and type of wheel also play an essential role when selecting a dirt bike. There are three types of tires that the dirt bike comes with, plastic, conventional, and tubeless. Plastic wheels are suited for beginner electric bikes.
They can’t handle rough surfaces and won’t spin if the kid is above the weight limit. Conventional tires come with a tube filled with air, and the tubeless variety, as the name suggests, doesn’t have one. Usually, the tubeless type is a bit expensive that requires less maintenance.
Wheel size is also an important thing to consider. Small wheel size is suitable for beginners, as it makes the bike easier to handle. A bigger size wheel provides much more stability but increases the motorcycle’s weight, making it slightly tricky to maneuver. Also, a bigger wheel size will affect the mileage on the gasoline dirt bike and the run time of the electric variant.
All the electric bikes come with an automatic transmission. Some of them allow the user to select between two speeds, low and high. The gasoline dirt bikes are available in either manual or automatic transmission. It is best to go for an automatic variant for beginner and moderate-level kids. The manual option provides much more control in terms of speed but comes with a steeper learning curve.
6 Best Dirt Bikes For Your 10, 11, or 12-year-old kids to Choose From
There are plenty of options available in the market for dirt bikes, and if you follow the steps mentioned above, you will not make the wrong decision. To further aid in your decision-making, I am going to specify the details of six dirt bikes.
Let’s start with a comparison table for the selected bikes for a quick overview of their features.
Qaba Kids Electric Battery Powered Ride On Motorcycle Dirt Bike
- REALISTIC DRIVING: Our Aosom ride on kids dirt bike is perfect for kids between 60 to 96 months old! That is because the motorcycle for...
- REAL MUSIC AND LIGHTS: This electric motorcycle has some bright & colorful decals, working headlights, and a built-in speaker to play...
- SECURED DESIGN: Motorcycle toy has 2 side training wheels (that can be removed when your kid's feel comfortable) and a top speed of...
- POWERFUL 6V MOTOR: The kids dirt bike features a mighty 6V providing powerful rear-wheel drive to the vehicle for great performance...
- BATTERY POWERED: With this being a battery powered motorcycle for kids, you don't have to deal with the stink of gasoline! It's easy to...
This bike is perfect for young kids to start their dirt bike journey. It will be perfect for kids of 3 to 6 years of age. This product comes with two training wheels, so you don’t have to worry about your children falling. It is incredibly light at 17.6 pounds and is easy to carry around.
The bike is mostly made up of plastic to reduce the overall weight. It comes with a 6V battery and 6V 500MA motor to generate a top speed of 2.5 miles per hour. It lasts up to 45 minutes on a full charge. The tires are made up of plastic, so they might not work on all surfaces.
The bike comes with an aggressive design with bright red colors and decals. It also comes with sounds and has a headlight to use when the natural light gets dim.
- Beginner Friendly
- 45 minutes run time
- Plastic Tires
2. Best choice products Kids Electric Battery Powered Ride On Motorcycle Dirt Bike
- IT'S GO TIME: Straightforward steering gives your child a sense of motor control and helps them learn to ride vehicles
- SAFE SPEEDS: Your child can enjoy a fun trip at up to 2 mph for the perfect riding experience
- REALISTIC LOOK & SOUNDS: Colorful decals with working headlights, and realistic sounds including a horn, blinker, ignition, and music...
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Play up to 40 minutes and charge your 6V rechargeable battery overnight with the included charger, so your little...
- CERTIFIED & SAFE: Made with plastic materials and meets U.S. Federal safety standards for ASTM & CPSIA, so you can rest at ease while...
This bike is suitable for young ones to get them started. It has a slight edge over the Qaba dirt bike mentioned above. It has a 6V 4.5A.H battery and a 6V 20W motor.
This one also comes with a plastic body and hard plastic wheels, which means it won’t work on all terrains. It comes in two colors, green and red. It comes with training wheels. This model is perfect for kids age 3 to 8.
- Beginner Friendly
- 1 hour 30 minutes battery time on a full charge
- Low weight capacity
- Hard Plastic Wheels
3. Razor Dirt Electric Motocross Bike – MX350
- Authentic motocross frame geometry, the MX350 scales down the dirt bike to size for riders ages 13+ and up to 140 lb (64 kg)
- High-torque, rear-wheel chain-drive delivers increased power and traction
- Powers riders at speeds of up to 14 mph (22 km/h) with up to 30 minutes of continuous use
- Features adjustable-angle, riser-style handlebars, spoked wheels with 12” pneumatic, knobby tires, retractable kickstand, and...
- 24V (two 12V) sealed lead-acid rechargeable battery system
Razor is one of the leading manufacturers of dirt bikes. They started in the year 2000 and have kept their products up to date with the latest technology and trends in motorsports. They offer a fantastic variety of dirt bikes to choose from for all ages. We have narrowed down two from their collection for the ten to twelve-year-old kids.
The first bike is a Razor MX350 electric dirt bike. It comes with a 24V battery (two 12V) and can be used continuously for 30 minutes on a full charge. This bike also has a maximum speed of fourteen miles per hour, thanks to its high torque, chain-driven motor.
It has adjustable handlebars to provide the perfect posture for the kids riding it. It comes with large 12-inch pneumatic knobby tires that are suitable for all terrains, especially dirt.
The body of the Razor MX350 is mostly made up of steel with some plastic accessories; thus, it is quite sturdy and robust. One shortfall of this bike is that it doesn’t come with shocks, so expect a slightly bumpy ride.
- High torque, chain-driven motor
- Top speed of 14 miles per hour
- Steel construction
- Adjustable Handle Bars
- Large Wheels
- No shocks
- Low run time
4. Razor Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Bike
- Inspired by the winningest motocross rider in history, Jeremy McGrath
- Complete with authentic McGrath graphics and fairing design, genuine dirt bike frame geometry and a high-torque, Variable speed motor...
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 15 mph with 40 minutes of continuous use. Throttle is twist-grip
- Features dual suspension and riser handlebars, large pneumatic knobby tires, retractable kickstand, and hand operated dual disc...
- Frame: Steel, Motor: chain-driven, Fork: Double-crown, Foot Pegs: Folding, metal
Another excellent dirt bike from Razor is the SX500. They took the inspiration for its design from one of the legends of moto-cross, Jeremy McGrath.
It comes with authentic McGrath graphics and a fairing design. It comes with 36V (three 12V) sealed lead acid rechargeable battery that can last for approximately two hours.
The bike comes with dual suspension for an extra smooth ride. It has a maximum speed of 15 miles per hour. It features hand-operated dual disc brakes to remain in maximum control of the bike. This bike also has adjustable handlebars, which help the kids ride the bike comfortably.
The bike is mainly made up of steel and has some plastic accessories. It is quite robust and stable and can endure a rough-riding session from the kids. It has the same large wheels as MX350.
- High Capacity 36V battery
- A maximum speed of 15 miles per hour
- Dual disc brakes
- Dual suspension
- Large wheels
- Robust and Sturdy
- Adjustable handlebars
- A bit on the heavier side at 98 pounds
5. Burromax Black Electric – TT250 – Dirt Bike
- ✅ POWER: 250W 24VDC high torque BDC motor 2-12V 7Ah batteries Charge Time: up to 8 Hrs 2 Speed Selections: (Low Speed 7 Mph-High...
- ✅ QUALITY: Smoother acceleration from a variable throttle control, Awesome welded tube steel frame design with full suspension with...
- ✅ BRAKING: Handle bar mounted rear brake lever to control Rear disc brake on Aluminum Alloy Wheels Large 12.5" diameter tires with...
- ✅ BATTERY: UL Approved 24V 1.5 Amp battery charger Included with charge times lasting up to 8 hours after full charge. All necessary...
Burromax is also a leading manufacturer of recreational vehicles and power products. It has a wide range of dirt bikes to choose from, both for kids and adults. They are known for their reliable and dependable products. They have excellent customer service, which has propelled them to the top of the market.
The TT250 electric dirt bike is a perfect option for your kids. It comes with a 250W 24VDC high torque BDC motor, which takes the bike up to a maximum speed of 14 miles per hour. You can select between 7 mph and 14 mph speeds according to your preference with a click of a button. It also has twist grip variable acceleration for speed control.
The bike has a steel frame, which makes it sturdy and durable. It comes with full suspension for a smoother ride. It has a heavy-duty folding footrest. This bike comes with adjustable handlebars to get the perfect posture and position for riding.
It has a Handlebar rear brake lever to control rear disc brakes to remain in maximum bike control. This product also has incredible aluminum alloy large wheels of 12.5 inches in diameter, which offers maximum stability and the ability to ride in all terrains. It also has an excellent weight capacity of 250 pounds.
This bike has an excellent design with a realistic-looking engine. It is quite hard to tell whether it’s an electric or gas-powered bike just by the looks. Burromax also offers separately purchasable accessories for the bike.
- Speed Selection
- High capacity battery
- Huge wheels of 12.5 inches in diameter
- Steel frame design
- A maximum speed of 14 miles per hour
- Realistic looking
- 30 days return policy
- Key ignition.
6. V-Fire 51CC Gas – 2-Stroke – Dirt Mini Bike
V-Fire is an online company that sells dirt bikes for kids. They provide a fantastic selection of gas dirt bikes for the kids. They try to sell the bikes at affordable rates so that everyone can enjoy the thrill of riding a dirt bike.
Their 2-Stroke 51cc Gas Dirt bike is perfect for your kids. It has a maximum speed of 20 miles per hour with a pull start for the engine. This product is ideal to satisfy your kid’s off-road needs. It also provides excellent wheels and shocks for maximum stability and durability.
It has a maximum loading capacity of 150 pounds, and the bike itself is quite light at 44 pounds only. Being lightweight, it offers incredible maneuverability and control.
- Light Weight
- A maximum speed of 20 miles per hour
- Pull start